Exemptions from Testing

New Vehicle Exemption

In Arizona, almost all vehicles that fall within the most recent five model years are exempt from emissions testing. For example, in 2015, most 2011 and newer model year motor vehicles (except reconstructed vehicles) do not require an emissions test.

Vehicles Registered Outside of the Vehicle Emissions Control Areas (metro Phoenix and Tucson) in Partially Exempt Zip Codes

The Motor Vehicle Division exempts most vehicles registered outside the vehicle emissions control area based on the residence zip code. However, the zip codes listed below are considered partial, meaning parts of the area require emissions while other areas within the zip code are exempt.

Partial Zip Codes in the Vehicle Emissions Control Areas:

  • Phoenix Metro Area - Area A:
    85218/85118, 85226, 85232/85132, 85239/85139, 85242/85142, 85243/85143, 85244, 85262, 85263, 85290/85190, 85322, 85326, 85332, 85337, 85339, 85342, 85354, 85390
    (Zip Codes separated by a slash (/) are in the process of being changed by the U.S. Postal Service)
  • Tucson Metro Area - Area B:
    85629, 85641, 85653, 85654, 85658, 85735, 85736, 85739, 85743, 85746, 85747

Vehicle owners who reside in a partial zip code will be identified with "Emissions Test Required" on their vehicle registration renewal form.

Those vehicles may be granted an Out of Area (Status Code 52) Exemption if they are registered in that partial zip code and out of the emission control area boundary. However, if the vehicle is used to commute into the emissions test boundary (area A or area B) for employment or school, state law requires that the vehicle be tested.

Note: This information is not targeted to just Maricopa and Pima Counties, but also parts of Pinal and Yavapai.

To verify this information, use our VEI Address Locator.

Complete the Emissions Exemption Form (Code 52) and submit to ADEQ or MVD with the following:

  • Photocopy of current vehicle registration for each vehicle
  • Photocopy of a current utility bill in the name of the applicant, identifying the physical address of applicant's residence
  • Photocopy of the property owner's tax evaluation notice listing the township, range and section of residence. If you do not own the property, we will require a lease/rental agreement.

Vehicles Out of State at Test Time

If your vehicle is out of state 90 days before your registration expires, you must do one of the following:

  1. If your vehicle is in an area that has an inspection program

    You must have the vehicle tested there and submit a passing vehicle inspection report (not a copy) to the appropriate address listed below.
    Include the report, a $9.50 check or money order (checks must be payable to ADEQ and have the imprinted name and physical in-state address of the customer; no post office boxes), a copy of the Arizona registration and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

    An out-of-state exemption will be sent to you, which you must mail to the Motor Vehicle Division along with your registration renewal paperwork.
  2. If your vehicle is in an area that does not have an inspection program

    To receive an out-of-state exemption, you must file an application form. Download a copy of the form here, or contact ADEQ and one will be sent to you. Complete the form and send it to ADEQ. Include a $9.50 check or money order (checks must be payable to ADEQ and have the imprinted name and physical in-state address of the customer; no post office boxes) and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

    When approved, an out-of-state exemption will be sent to you, which must be mailed to the Motor Vehicle Division, along with your registration renewal paperwork.

    Note: Out-of-state exemptions are valid for one to two years, depending on whether the vehicle had emissions inspected and/or what type of test was conducted.

If your vehicle is registered in the Phoenix area, mail passing test documents to:

Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program (VEIP)
1110 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, Arizona 85007

If registered in the Tucson area:

Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program (VEIP)
4040 East 29th Street
Tucson, Arizona 85711

Military Out of State Exemption

If you are active duty military, stationed outside of Arizona, you may qualify for a military out of state exemption. This exemption is for vehicles that will not be in use. If the vehicle is to be driven by someone else, use the regular Out of State exemption.

To apply, you must complete and sign the application form below and obtain your Commanding Officer's signature. Application must be made within 90 days prior to expiration of the current vehicle registration.